RALF BROOKES ATTORNEY
Board Certified in City County and Local Government Law by The Florida Bar
Currently practicing as Ralf Brookes Attorney and providing legal expertise in his capacity as a board certified attorney in City County and Local Government Law Of Counsel to The Vose Firm.
Ralf Brookes, Attorney. 1998-present.
Local government law, land use and environmental law; Representing local governments, public and private sector clients, public interest groups and not-for-profit organizations.
Prepare and present to local city councils, county commissions and boards, to assist you with:
- legal review of applications,
- litigate approvals and denials,
- prepare, challenge or defend ordinances, land development regulations, comprehensive plan amendments, settlements, development agreements,
- local, state and federal agency permits, approvals,
- administrative appeals and proceedings
- challenges and appeals in state and federal courts.
Of Counsel to The Vose Firm.
Local Government representation at governmental board meetings, County or City Commission meetings for The Vose Firm; Litigation support, knowledge and practice in the area of land use, zoning, real property, and community development issues, including growth management and comprehensive plan amendments for The Vose Firm governmental clients including:
- City Attorney, City of Naples (2021-current) with Nancy Stuparich, Esq. The Vose Firm: Serve as City Attorney; Providing legal counsel to City of Naples - City Council, CRA and advisory Boards, attend and represent the City of Naples at City Council Meetings, Workshops, Legislative and Quasi-Judicial Hearings, Litigation, Advise Planning Advisory Board, Design Review Board, East Naples Bay Citizens Advisory Board, Community Redevelopment Agency and Citizens Advisory Board, staff reviews for Planning and Zoning, Contracts, Code Enforcement, City Clerk, Land Use and Environmental Issues; Litigation for City of Naples
- Other Cities and Counties - Of Counsel to The Vose Firm: Okeechobee County, Cocoa Beach, Anna Maria and other local governments
COUNTY ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE:
- Monroe County (the “Florida Keys”) - Land Use Litigation Counsel (1992-1998) Representing Monroe County Florida in land use litigation in state and federal courts, serve as counsel for Growth Management Division, counsel for Planning Department, Planning Commission and Code Enforcement; prepared and defended vacation rental ordinance, noise ordinances, resolutions and land development regulations, development agreements, comprehensive plan amendments, defended Monroe County in state and federal court.
- Sarasota County Assistant County Attorney (1990 – 1992) Advise County Attorney, Board of County Commissioners of Sarasota County; Planning Commission, Planning, Natural Resources, Code Enforcement, Solid Waste Departments, interagency and interlocal agreements; established Pollution Control Trust Fund.
MUNICIPAL/CITY ATTORNEY EXPERIENCE:
- City of Naples, Florida (population 20,344)(City Attorney 2021-present)
- City of St Pete Beach, Florida (Pinellas County, population 10,086) (City Attorney 2007-2008):
- City of Bradenton Beach Florida, (Manatee County, population 1,536) 2004 – 2009
- City of Madeira Beach, Florida (Pinellas County, population 4,406) City Attorney 2017-2020
- Town of Yankeetown, Florida, (Levy County, population 760) 2006 – present
As City/Town Attorney. Meet with and advise City Manager and Departments; Litigation, Comprehensive Plan Amendments, Land Development Code Amendments and review of development application, variances, cell towers, planned developments, rezonings, comp plan amendments ordinances, contracts, government and public works projects.
MEDIATOR/ARBITRATOR/ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- Florida Court Appointed Arbitrator – Florida Supreme Court Approved
- Special Magistrate/Master, Fla. Stat. 70.51 Land Use & Dispute Resolution Act: Alternative dispute resolution process for land use applications. (e.g., Village of Islamorada Florida)
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE:
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT & ANALYST: 1998 –2000
Senior Consultant & Analyst Business Management–Cambridge Management Consulting (Celerant Consulting ). Delivered measurable improvements in Operations and Maintenance systems to deliver sustainable measurable results of $2.7 to 3.5 million dollars in annual client savings and increased profits. Identify and implement systems, reporting and management procedures for sustainable continual improvement. Texas, NJ, La, Delaware; Manuf. Facilities (1000+ workers); Corp. Headquarters (100+).
Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) - Adjunct Professor Env Law 2005 - 2014. Masters of Public Administration Program: Environmental & Land Use Law PAD 5620.
University of Florida Law School – Env and Land Use Law Program, Practitioner in Residence 2013; Guest Lecturer: Env Law, Conservation Clinic and Water Law Clinic 2014, 2015, 2016
University of Florida –Law School Gainesville, Florida, Juris Doctorate (J.D. 1988)
- Jessup’s Cup Moot Court Team;
- UF Law Center for Governmental Responsibility Fellowship
University of Miami - Bachelor Science degree in Marine Sciences/Geology, Coral Gables, (B.S. 1985)
Admitted to Florida Bar – 1988 (Over 22+ years as member in good standing)
Board Certified: City, County and Local Government Law by The Florida Bar – 2004 to date
Florida Federal Courts: Admitted Middle District Fla., Southern District Fla., Northern District Florida
Florida State Courts: Admitted all state circuits, all appellate district courts, Florida Supreme Court
The Florida Bar, Sections and Committees:
- City, County and Local Government Law Section, active member in good standing present
- Environmental and Land Use Law Section (ELULS), Executive Council, 1993-2001, active member in good standing through present
- Administrative Law Section Executive Council, 1991- 1999, active member in good standing through present
Florida League of Cities, Florida Municipal Attorney’s Association Member/Lecturer
The Florida Chamber of Commerce,
- Growth Management Short Course
- Environmental Permitting Short Course
The Florida Bar, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Programs
- City, County and Local Government Section of the Florida Bar
- Environmental and Land Use Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Administrative Law Section of the Florida Bar
- University of Florida Law program, speaker and guest lecturer
Continuing Legal Education, CLE-International Programs,
- Dealing With Government
- Litigating Land Use and Takings Claims
- Defending Local Government Land Use Denials
- Regulatory Takings under the U.S. and Florida Constitution
- Wetlands Regulations
Florida Municipal Attorney’s Association Speaker Noise Ordinances
Southwest Florida Chamber of Commerce “Issues 08” Southwest Florida Legislative Delegation
A Sustainable Southwest Florida: Creating a Vision. Participant City Attorney